What to do if you get Bed Bugs
Are you tired of getting nibbled on at night… and not by a loved one? Have no fear! Shakespeare Pest Control is here! We would like to share with you some tips on how to handle the little pests. While St. George, Utah may not be the Mecca of Bed Bugs in the United States, they are still very common. The following are some helpful tips:
- Don’t freak out and throw everything away. They are hard to get rid of, but they are not impossible!
- Don’t move things to other rooms. It will greatly increase your ability to get rid of the infestation if there is less clutter. So, clean up and simplify… get rid of anything you don’t need anymore. However, DON’T donate it to the thrift stores! You never know what might be carrying Bed Bugs.
- If you are renting, notify your landlord immediately.
- Vacuum box springs and all the edges. Be very thorough with the vacuuming. When you are finished, dispose of the vacuum bag in the outside trash in another sealed bag.
- Don’t start sleeping on the couch or in other rooms. It will just make the problem worse. Bed Bugs are attracted to you, so if you move, they move, too. You need to make a room where you can sleep. So, strip the bedding and put it all in the dryer. The heat of the dryer will kill the Bed Bugs. Then, carefully vacuum the mattress, focusing especially on the edges, box springs, and any other nook or cranny. It is possible to cover the mattress with a bed bug cover as well.
- Remember that throwing away your mattress isn’t the solution. While up to 60% of Bed Bugs are on your bed and box springs, there still are about 40% of the Bed Bugs in other places. So, just throwing away your bed and spending a load of money on a new one will not fix the problem.
- Like we talked about earlier, washing and drying all linens helps. Remember, it isn’t the washing that kills the Bed Bugs, it is the heat of the DRYER that will kills them.
- Contact Shakespeare Pest Control. We LOVE helping people and will give FREE ADVICE on your options for Bed Bugs and Pest Control in St. George, Utah and surrounding areas.